23 August 2009

Elk's Club Chili Cook off and Car show

WHAT A BLAST!!! A special thanks goes out to K&N for loaning me one of their EZ UPS...mine kinda bit the dust! But, the chili cook-off/car show was sooo much fun, we met so many great people. Our day started at 5 a.m. We left the house around 6 and picked up the trailer and car then headed to the Elk's club in Huntington Beach. Of course we turned a lot of heads as we pulled in, kinda hard not to when you have a dodge dually (nicknamed cement truck because of its sound) and a 48' monster trailer! We park and pull the dragster and ATV out. We hook up the dragster to the ATV and pull it to the driveway of the club. That was as far as we got!!! We high-sided the dragster! Well, it's easy to do when you only sit 3" off the ground. So, after finding some muscle, we got over the hump and into our "show" spot. Thank you guys for the muscle power...you know who you are!


So, back to the trailer for the chairs, table, banner, ez-up, flags, and tape...then back to the "show" spot. Then set it all up....Then BREATHE, for only a second!!! Then remember that I left my flyers in the truck....AAAGGGGHHHH. But we got it all together and it looked great!

On to the chili.....I want to say that there were about 15-20 chili competitors. I only had the time to taste 3. The first was HOT, the 2nd was salty, but the 3rd was perfect! Just enough heat for flavor and not overloaded on spice. I don't know if that was the one that won, but it hopefully atleast placed!
Some of the people I have to mention, I can't even begin to tell you the size of their hearts!
First, Scott and Helen Martin, they are part of the Elk's club and just wonderful people. Mr. "Ughlee", wonderful man, without him and Dennis and Allene Macklin....I wouldn't have even been at that show! Then there's Russ and Judy Barnes. They were competitors in the chili cook off and their tent was just down from me. They told me about this certain foundation - Snowball Express. This organization helps children of fallen soldiers. If you get the chance, check out the website: http://www.snowballexpress.org/

Well, to finish up, I hope everyone that visited me and the dragster got a kick out of it. I know some of the people who sat in the dragster ended up looking like kids in a candy store! That's what it's all about! : )
DON'T FORGET - Saturday August 29th, 2009 American Legion Post #291. This is the "Provide A Ride" event and they will be raffling off a 2009 Harley Street Glide...$10 a ticket!!!
Come get some!!!!
All right...that's enough from me for now.....
Take Care, be safe, and I'll see you at the races!



No comments:

Post a Comment