10 June 2009

Pearblossom Elementary School K-6

My day started at 5:30 this morning. And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not too much of an early bird! But none the less, the kids were calling!!!! We left the house at 6:30 a.m and headed over to El Toro to pick up the car and trailer. We hooked up to the truck and made sure everything was secure and then we hit the road. We didn't have to be at the school until 10 a.m. so we had plenty of time (so we thought)! 405 to the 55 to the 91 to the 15 then to the 138 to Pearblossom.....NOT!!!! We did great until we hit the 15. Then a huge sign, you know the ones that hang overhead and tell of impending danger, overhead read "15N closed at the 215". Just the way we were headed! Come to find out that there was a huge wreck due to the fog. We're talking 20 cars, couple of motorcycles, and a big rig full of deisel. Wow, that sounds like a Hollywood movie.


Well, it was detour time, so we jumped on the 210 through LA. It wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. Traffic was lite and we actually made it to the school by 10:30 a.m. Not to bad considering!
We had enough time to get the car out and cleaned up then the kids started showing up.
I was suppose to be showing the car to the 6th grade class of Mrs. Jeannie Kirby! She told me there were only 60 students in her class so I made goody bags for "her" class . Boy did she get me! 360 students later.......I'm surprised I have a voice left! It was so much fun though. Glenn said I was in my element. I was asking questions, answering questions (some of them quite hilarious), and just having a ball with the kids! Of course, Jeannie was telling the kids that I was a "World Famous" Drag Racer and that Glenn and his dad (they sat in the background) were my "bodyguards". After all the kids from the school came out and visited with me and the car, I went into Jeannie's class with the goody bags. The kid's loved it all. I'm glad I had the opportunity to share my passion, and hopefully some good messages with them all. We spent about 3 hours at the school in total and it was worth it! The smiles on the faces will always stay in my memory!
Take care and I will see you at the races!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had such a good turn out at the school....that's the way fans are made! Sorry you dealt with all that traffic. I'm glad I wasn't there...I'd have been freakin out! Hope you get more of these opportunities!

    ReplyDelete